Looking back on 2016 – a year of growth and blessing
As we wrap up another calendar year, we are reminded of how many things have happened and how our mission has grown. And all of this is directly the result of your support for our work – your continued prayers and faithful financial support! It has been an eventful and busy year.
So, what all happened this year? Here is a brief recap:
- We changed our name from Chinese Agape Foundation to Agape Asia Foundation to reflect the expansion of our work into other areas of Asia (Nepal and the Philippines), in addition to continuing our China Mission.
- A new orphanage in the Philippines (Casa Esperanza of Angels) moves forward; incorporation, land purchase, design, vehicle purchase, and construction began
- Zoie led her “Heal a Heart Campaign” for the fifth consecutive year, raising more than $3,000 to provide medical care for poor children in China. Thank you, Zoie!
- Our education exchange program completed its first year and is continuing – a sponsor family in Arkansas was able to meet one of our students who they had been sponsoring for many years.
- Several of our students graduated from college in China; two current college students from our foster care volunteered during the summer in the Neil Taylor Christian Care Center; a blind young man, in our care for ten years, graduated and began an apprenticeship intern program.
- More than twenty medical patients successfully received heart surgeries in China and the US; we provided care for six burn patients in the US.
- Giving Tuesday campaign received nearly $14,000 in donations for new computer equipment in the care centers.
- We hosted numerous visiting teams from churches and schools from the US, Canada, Singapore, and elsewhere in China; their missional visits helped provide English language tutoring, facility repairs and improvements, and countless hours of teaching, encouragement and new relationships.
Thank you for your support of these and many other accomplishments in 2016 – your support has made a difference in the lives of hundreds of children!
We look forward to 2017 and the many new opportunities ahead. Please share our story with your friends and family – encourage them to join us in this mission!
Urgent financial need – fire safety project at JFCC
This month we have started a major fire safety renovation project at the Jackson Family Christian Care Center in Zigong, China. New fire safety codes are in place in the province, so in order for the center to maintain registration to operate we must make several changes and additions – and it is the right thing to do to ensure our children’s safety.
The project will cost $60,000 and is over and above the budget we have to operate the center. A donor has given us $25,000 to begin paying for this work – but we still have more funds to finish the work. Please make a donation now (here) to help us cover the cost of this critical safety project at JFCC.
We will be inspecting the other centers in the days ahead to determine whether we need to make the same improvements at each of them – if we do, this will be a significant expense in the coming year. Look for more news on the other centers in future newsletters and on our web site.